My Monthly Reads: September 2017


As I moved away for University this month, I had very little time to read as a lot of the month was spent preparing so I only managed to read 3 full books during September but I thought I would still share my thoughts on them. *Potentially some spoilers ahead*

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Favourite Quote: "You are all the colours at once, at full brightness"

This book literally had me in tears at one point and I would definitely recommend it for fans of John Green.  This book does touch on heavier topics such as mental illness, being a 'freak', being alone etc but the author manages to do this in a way that isn't a 'cliche'.  Suicide is a huge theme in the book and both of the main characters, Finch and Violet, hide their feelings from everyone around them and refuse the help they are often offered because they think nobody would understand them.  The structure of the book is written so that Finch and Violet alternate each chapter and both characters are so different in their thoughts and feelings yet so similar at the same time and this sort of structure really brings the story to life and helps you see the story from different points of view.  There is a number of amazing quotes in this book and it really opens your eyes to life.

Holding up the Universe by Jennifer Niven


Favourite Quote: "People are shitty for lots of reasons"

This is by the same author as 'All the bright places' but after reading that book I really wanted to read more by this author and so I decided to read this book next.  The main character, Libby, holds so much confidence and has so much courage despite what she was going though and had gone through previously; she also takes very little shit from anybody.  This book, like the previous one, switches narrative between Libby and the other main character, Jack as well as between the past and present but it's not confusing at all and is done in a very clever way.  As for the main characters. they have a very complicated relationship at first in terms of how they met and why they end up spending so much time together but throughout the book their friendship grew and progressed and I really liked how this was done as it didn't feel forced.

The Jewel by Amy Ewing


Favourite Quote: "Hope is a precious thing isn't it... And yet we don't really appreciate it until it's gone"

This book reminds me a lot of the selection series (Which I wrote about in last months monthly reads) yet at the same time it's still very different.  Violet is a very strong character throughout the book and all the characters are very well based.  I thought the whole premise of this book was very clever; only the lower class have the ability to have children for the upper class and since the poor people have no power, the upper class are free to use them as they wish (because who exactly is going to stop them from abusing their power?).  The ending for me personally was not what I was expecting and it definitely means I am going to have to pick up the next book now as it left me hooked (and with plenty of questions?).

What books have you loved this month?




Comments