My Monthly Reads: August 2017



As we are reaching the end of August, I’m going to be posting my monthly reads for this month.  I found I had a lot more spare time to read this month than I usually would as it’s summer holidays.  I won’t be going into huge detail on each book as I don’t want to give anything away but I have loved every book I have read this month which I am very pleased about! Keep reading to find out my thoughts on them



Matched by Ally Condie



This book is set in the future; it’s the perfect society yet, it’s not.  The storyline keeps you hooked until the very end wondering what Cassia (the main character) will do next.  She faces quite a few dilemmas during the book which are all artfully done and both choices are made to appeal to the reader rather than there being one obvious choice which I liked as it made the story less predictable.  The romance in the story was very well done and curiosity for the love triangle was built throughout the whole book.   

Skin Deep by Laura Jarratt



This is such a beautiful book.  It’s extremely well written and teaches lessons throughout such as Don’t judge a book by its cover and ugly people have feelings too which was a recurring lesson throughout the book as the main character, Jenna, considers herself ugly due to an accident that occurs.  When I found out the ages of the Jenna and her love interest, Ryan, I was really surprised as they are only 14 and 16 respectively yet they are presented in a much more mature way but it also makes you think about how much can change for them in the future with them being so young.  This book is inspiring, emotional and funny all at once and it really makes you feel so much for Jenna throughout such as empathy but also hope.

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon



This book has been sitting on my shelf for months because I just haven’t got around to reading it yet but with the film coming out soon I thought now was the best chance to read it before I saw the film.  I was impressed with this book.  It was cute and funny but the way it was written and the illustrations really made it unique and a much more interesting read.  Yoon was able to carefully balance the light-heartedness and the seriousness of the book well but there were some parts that we’re still extremely thought-provoking for the reader.  It’s funny, sad and romantic all at once but it was done well.  I do have to say, I personally feel as though the ending was slightly abrupt and I would have loved to know what happened after; I think the ending as a whole was slightly rushed.

The Selection Trilogy by Kiera Cass




I was originally going to write about these 3 books separately but since they are such an easy-to-read series and I read them all so quickly one after another, I decided to write about them all together so this will be a slightly longer review than those above.
The selection is a lottery-based, reality TV event where 35 girls are chosen to live at the castle to ‘court’ Prince Maxon so he can find a queen.  America (the main character), in love with Aspen (her nearly illegal boyfriend), has no interest at all in the event but due to some specific circumstances she finds herself not only entering the competition but being chosen as one of the 35 girls.  Books 2 and 3 follow her journey through the competition and although the ending is quite predictable, the read is more about seeing how she got to that outcome rather than what the outcome is.  As for characters, America makes a lot of stupid mistakes and is very inconsistent with her feelings but she is still a teenager so she can’t really be blamed.  Aspen was dealt with very well in terms of the doomed love triangle and managed to stay relevant without being forced into the storyline.  The other girls in the completion were developed well as much as was necessary and some really surprised me towards the end.  Despite the light-heartedness of the book there were also some pretty intense things that happen through the books such as public whippings, fights, gun wounds and blackmail and King Carlson’s character and dark nature really helped add depth to the plot; He was a very interesting character (but a crappy person!).
Kiera Class has also released 2 follow up books to this series but these books instead follow her daughter’s own selection rather than America’s story so it was really interesting to read what was essentially ‘The Selection’ with very few appearances from either America or Maxon however a very big part of one of the 2 books is to do with America.  As well as these 5 books, Cass has also released a few novellas; The Prince, The Guard and The Queen (or they all come together in one book called Happily Ever After.  These short stories are either chapters you’ve already read from a different characters point-of-view, which makes a very interesting read as you already know what’s going on and already know one side of it, or they are completely separate chapters all together giving you more insight into the story.

What books have you been reading this month?



Comments