Makeup Decluttering: August 2017



Most people tend to do all their decluttering in spring but not me, I always find that summer is my most productive time for decluttering as this is when I tend to have most of my spare time. 
As I am moving out for university next month, I have started to decluttering my bedroom and one thing that has gotten out of control recently is my makeup, skincare and bodycare products. I love trying new products so my collections always tend to grow as I very rarely go through to get rid of things I no longer use so in the future I need a new system for getting rid of products that I don't really care for straight away. 

So let's begin!!
(Sorry for some of the photo qualities, some of the piles were huge and I struggled to fit them comfortably into the frame) 

I emptied each drawer individually as I thought having it all spread out in front of me would make it easier to decide what to keep and what to give away. (All the stuff I got rid off was either really old, empty or I offered it to other people so none of it was wasted).

Nail Varnish


Before

Nail varnish isn't something I buy regularly so I'm not sure how I ended up with so much (This isn't even half of it, I couldn't find the box that I keep the rest in).

After

The ones on the left were the ones I kept and the ones on the right I either gave away or threw out because they were old or empty (This is the same for all 'after' pictures).

Eye


Before

Palettes aren't included here as they have a separate section.  I tended to have a lot of doubles in my eye drawer from various gift sets and free samples so it was easy enough to rule them out straight away.  I also realised I had 3 of the same eyelash curler so I gave 2 of them away.

After

I didn't get rid of a lot stuff int his section as it all tends to be stuff I reach for as I like experimenting with eye makeup and mixing it up, especially trying out different mascaras.

Lip

Before

Lipsticks are another product I seem to be constantly buying to try out but having them all out in front of me, I've realised that I tend to lean towards the same colours all the time.

After
I managed to get rid of more than I thought I would for lip products as they tend to be the one makeup thing I am good at throwing away when necessary but for a lot of what I did throw it was because I didn't like the formula or they were really old.

Face/ Base

Before
Honestly, I didn't even realise I owned this many foundations, powders and primer until I had them all in front of me and I tend to always reach for the same products.

After
I didn't get rid of a load as going through the pile I realised some products that I used to really enjoy using and had completely forgotten about so I wanted to give these another go and switch up my regular makeup a bit

Travel Minis

Before
Travel minis are something I admit that I probably have far too much of but I have been doing a fair bit of travelling this summer with more still to come and you never know when they can come in handy.  And I just can't resist any mini sizes.

After

Most of this is all fairly new with a lot of it, especially the No7 and Simple products, coming from christmas gift sets whilst the rest of it was recently bough from Superdrug's 3 for £3 on travel sizes sale so nothing had to be thrown due to being old.

Palettes

Before
Most of my eyeshadows tend to be in the form of palettes as I find these are so much more convenient for on the go but also because I've never finished a full sized eyeshadow so I'd rather have a choice of a few smaller ones than one full sized one.

After
Revolution is definitely one of my favourite brands for palettes as they are so cheap but still really good quality and as you can see from the picture I own quite a few of their eyeshadow palettes as well as one of their blush palettes (which is absolutely stunning!)

Miscellaneous

Before

This pile was the one I was most excited to sort through and get rid of as it took up the most room.  This is everything from facial products to hair spray and moisturisers.

After
(Sorry about the photo on this one, it was extremely hard to photograph as there were so many products).  I again only managed to get rid of a few products but this made so much difference in terms of storage space which I was happy about.

Overall, I managed to get rid of a huge box full of stuff and already it had been much easier to find products I had forgotten about to switch my makeup up for often, especially eye and lip products.  And it gives me an excuse to buy more makeup to try.
I know I still have a fair bit of makeup left but the purpose of this declutter wasn't to get rid of it all it was just to simply get rid of what I no longer use.


Comments